Californian Wine is Thicker Than Water
Let’s throw it back 20 years. In 1999, Andréa and I met for the first time. No longer were we separated by the 7,000 miles between California and New Zealand. In 2005, Andréa and I began importing wine from New Zealand and then we moved our focus on different aspects in the wine industry. It was a long journey, and it wasn’t until 2016 when we started McBride Sisters Wines, proving that blood (and wine) is thicker than water.
Monterey, California has always been my home and is a source of my love of wine. As you probably know, California makes about 90% of all American wine. The state’s ideal growing conditions are determined by its size and diversity of soils and climates. Over 110 varieties of wine grapes are grown in California, including the flavorful fruit used to make our 2016 McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend. This 2016 Red Blend is a mix of Merlot, Zinfandel, Malbec and Petite Sirah from vineyards in Paso Robles and Monterey County.
McBride Sisters Collection 2016 Red Blend
A Californian spring is the best spring. The sun is out and so are the lupines and poppies. It’s also the beginning of the backyard BBQ-ing season. Open a bottle of our 2016 McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend, the perfect wine that has a peppery and herbal finish to pair with a juicy steak.
Try Chef Mimi’s Wontons Stuffed with Flank Steak, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese Garnished with Red Bell Peppers recipe paired with our McBride Sisters Collection 2016 Red Blend. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms, tender steak, and creamy goat cheese compliment the velvety, richness of the Red Blend. Why limit this dish to the appetizer portion of the evening? Honestly, it could be a full meal!
Visit our Wine Shop to purchase a bottle of McBride Sisters Collection 2016 Red Blend.
Chef Mimi’s Wontons Stuffed with Flank Steak, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese Garnished with Red Bell Peppers
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup of goat cheese,
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 lb flank steak
- Red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Spray a mini muffin pan with olive oil spray.
- Place the small wonton wrappers in the muffin pan cups. Line the cups against the wall of the muffin cups with your fingers. Spray oil on wontons.
- Place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and cups are formed.
- Let cool for 5 or more minutes then remove the cups.
Goat Cheese Mixture
- Mix the goat cheese with mushrooms, garlic salt, and pepper to taste, then place in the refrigerator until the steak is done.
- Sear flank steak to your liking (preferably medium) and season with salt to taste.
- Thinly slice the flank steak and set aside.
- Fill the cups with the goat cheese mixture, then top with flank steak.
- Garnish with red bell peppers.
We Work Best In Pairs
It can be daunting to choose a complementary pairing that heightens both the wine and dish. Don’t worry, we got you! Red Blends comprised of Merlot, Zinfandel, Malbec, and Petite Sirah like our 2016 Red Blend work fabulously with the following:
- Red meat (steak, lamb, pork, duck)
- Cured meat (chorizo, prosciutto, pancetta)
- Roasted root vegetables
- Dessert (dark chocolate, berries)
Now get creating!