McBride Sisters Family Recipe: Chocolate & Jalapeño Short Ribs with McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend
Total Time: 3 hr. 30 min
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 tsp. tomato paste
- 3 tsp. ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 cup McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend
- 2 cups beef stock
- 6 dried mixed chilies (Chipotle, arbol, ancho)
- 1 disc Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat a Le Creuset Grill Pan over medium heat; brush lightly with canola oil. Pat the short ribs dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Grill short ribs in batches on all sides until grill marks appear, remove from grill and repeat with remaining short ribs.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in the Le Creuset Braiser over medium heat; add the onion, carrot, and celery to skillet. Sauté until they achieve color. Stir in garlic and jalapeño, cooking for one minute, and then add tomato paste and ketchup. Cook and stir until the paste starts to darken, scraping the bottom of the braiser to prevent burning. Stir in Paprika and Cumin, thyme, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir to toast spices. Deglaze with McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend wine and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan; allow wine to reduce by half. Add dried chilies and beef stock and heat mixture to a rolling simmer; add chocolate and stir to melt.
- Place short ribs into braiser, cover with lid, and place in oven for 30 hours. The ribs should be very tender and almost fall off the bone. Carefully remove ribs to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Remove whole Chile pieces from sauce and skim fat from the surface. Stir in 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar. If the sauce is too thin, mix 1/2 tbsp. flour 1tbsp. water together to form a slurry and whisk into sauce. Bring sauce to a boil and serve over ribs.
While enjoying our family recipe, don’t forget to share with your beloved ones. Try out our seasonal Wine Club and enjoy with your families and friends!