Grilling Season with the McBride Sisters
It’s almost that time of the year. The time to celebrate summer’s landmark national holiday, Independence Day, or Fourth of July. With the weather heating up, Andréa and I are getting ready for our favorite wine & food pairing season. As you might have heard in Wine 101 our free Facebook course teaching you about all things wine, the McBride family loves a great BBQ. Our favorite pairing, BBQ Bacon Cheeseburgers and our McBride Sisters Collection Black Girl Magic Merlot — now available in the perfect red wine bundle on our website. What's yours? For some folks, especially those located in warmer climates, grilling season is an all-year round activity, and for others, the start of the summer season signifies outdoor activities, picnics, and grilling. Bring on the warm weather!
According to the 2020 “State of the Barbecue Industry” report from the Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association, roughly two-thirds of adults in the United States own a grill or smoker. This means that one out of every three people you know owns a grill. So if you’re not one of them, it’s likely that one of your friends or family does. We know that sharing is caring, so if you’re a grill-owner, invite your friends and family over for a summer cookout, and if you’re not, buy the necessary grilling supplies and take them to your bestie with a grill. How could they not love you for it?
Since the month of July is National Grilling Month, there’s no better time than the present to start prepping your grilling events. From planning your menu to conserving the food, we’ve got you covered. Stay safe, get outside, and let's get grilling!
McBride Guide to Grilled Food & Wine Pairings
We like to break the rules. That's why we don't let the rules about which wines to drink in a specific season ever stop us. We're drinking rosé in the winter and red wine in the summer! All year around we're sipping on our favorite wines. But there's a little secret about grilled food and wine pairings that we can't wait to share. It's time for red wines to shine.
There is nothing better than meat or veggies right off the grill & a sip of a perfectly chilled red wine. That's right, chilled red wine is here and ready to play! We don't mean ice cold, but given the warmer temps, it's nice to keep your red wines on ice to bring them to the perfect temperature during your family BBQ. When we drink red wine in the summer we feel bold & boujie, that's why our new Bold & Boujie red wine bundle is your grilling season must have. Order yours on the website here.
Flavor Hacks to Step Up Your Grilling Game
Looking to add some punch to your grilling flavors, but not sure where to start? Try these simple, yet incredibly effective flavor hacks that will have you quickly crowned the Grilling King.
- Who else loves their meat juicy and succulent, with a slight tinge of apple? If you’re not salivating yet, you soon will be when you try spraying your meat with apple cider or apple juice. This trick works wonders on pork and chicken.
- Herbs really are the spice of life. To revitalize your traditional grilling brush, tie a bunch of fresh herbs onto a wooden spoon, dip your new brush into oil, and use it to paint your produce in a new and flavorsome way.
- Prevent fish from sticking to the grill by cooking it on lemon slices. This hack provides two benefits: delicious, lemony fish that also saves you the headache of scraping it off the grill.
- Turn your grill into a DIY smoker with two simple tools: aluminium foil and wood chips (such as oak or hickory). Create a pouch out of the aluminium foil, throw in some wood chips, poke some holes in the top of the pouch, and add it to the grill. The pouch will slowly begin to release a smoky flavor and add a unique taste to what you are cooking.
Must Try Grill Recipes + Wine Pairings
What’s cooking? Whether you’re a dedicated carnivore, a chicken lover, or a herbivore, there is something that can be thrown on the grill for everyone!
A Delicious Starter: Grilled Chicken Shawarma
Bursting with deliciously fresh Middle Eastern flavors, this grilled chicken shawarma is not only fast and simple, it is perfect for summer as it goes well with fresh salads such as tabouli, or dips like hummus or tzatziki.
Image via feastingathome.com Get the recipe here.
Wine Pairing: Grilling chicken adds smokiness to the flavor, which stronger, acidic wines match perfectly. Our highly acidic 2020 Marlborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc provides lemongrass and citrus aromas that pair perfectly with the spices of the dish.
For the Herbivores: Portobello Mushroom Veggie Burger
A veggie burger so good it’s adored by both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, we knew we had to include it. This portobello mushroom burger is incredibly succulent, with juicy mushrooms fresh off the grill it makes the perfect summer dinner.
Image via Love & Lemons Get the recipe here.
Wine pairing: Due to the variety in flavors and richness that veggie burgers can have, they are often able to pair with a range of wines. A fruity red blend, such as our 2019 Central Coast California Red Blend is one option, as it is a well-balanced wine great with any meal. Another option is our 2019 Central Coast California Chardonnay, which is a heavenly match for grilled portobello mushrooms with its balanced texture and aromas of lemon curd and honey, pineapple and ripe pear.
For the Meat Lovers: Churrasco with Chimichurri Sauce
Wine Pairing: As the saying goes, red meat gets red wine. Steak pairs well with a variety of red wines, and you will find that our Black Girl Magic 2018 Merlot, Black Girl Magic 2018 Zinfandel or our Black GIrl Magic 2019 California Red Blend will each pair perfectly with churrasco, and will complement the heavy garlic in the chimichurri with individual fruity notes.
Grill + Play
We’ve got a jam-packed weekend ahead of us for this Fourth of July celebration, there are countless options for grilling cookout fun! Spending time with family and loved ones is important, and what better way to do it than over a hot, smoking grill?
If you’re planning a big get together, be sure to pick up some of our canned collections such as the SHE CAN Dry Rosé Spritzers Mixed 12 Pack, which are perfect for larger groups and come in two refreshing flavors that are sure to cool you down on a summer’s day.
Other Grilling Essentials
The secret to enjoying a perfect grill is careful preparation and mindful cooking. It would be a shame to have all your food go to waste over careless grilling that resulted in overcooking! Here’s a few other tips to make sure you make the most of your grilling day, so that you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a glass of wine:
- Keep everything sanitary and clean. Make sure everyone that is handling food has washed their hands and doesn’t touch their face while handling any food.
- Store the food in a cooler or somewhere cold until it is ready to cook. Leaving meats and fresh produce out for too long can allow bacteria to develop.
- Be mindful not to mix raw and cooked foods, and keep them separate at all times to avoid any bacteria from raw foods contaminating the cooked meals.
- Keep salads and other cold items chilled on ice to stay fresh.
Now that you’ve got your recipes, prep, and events planned, the next step is to get your grilling crew together! We hope you have a wonderful grilling season & Fourth of July weekend — let's get sizzling one delicious glass of wine at a time.