The McBride Sisters Guide to Sauvignon Blanc
An Origin Story
A wine that represents the heritage and beauty of New Zealand, where Andréa was raised. The McBride Sisters Collection Sauvignon Blanc (or Sauv Blanc if you're feeling friendly!) is an ode to one of the most breathtaking wine regions of the world, Marlborough. Located on the northeastern side of the South Island, this dry cooler climate has earned it's spot on the map by producing some of the most delicious Sauvignon Blancs. Notable of crisp acidity, gorgeous green notes and soft tropical fruits. A versatile white wine that pairs with our favorite dishes and represents a piece of the incredible story that brought Andréa into the wine world!
The Sauvignon Blanc Grape
Sauvignon Blanc, a green-skinned grape variety, originates from the Bordeaux region of France and produces a dry, crisp white wine. In the 1880s, the first Sauvignon Blanc cuttings were brought to California, the location of McBride Sisters Collection headquarters. It wasn’t until the 1970s that the grape was first introduced to New Zealand, where the McBride Sisters Collection Sauvignon Blanc is grown and made. In 1979, Sauvignon Blanc wine was first commercially produced on New Zealand shores and is now the country’s most widely planted variety. Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is the one our favorite types of sauvignon blanc. In terms of Sauvignon Blanc aging, this type of white wine can be enjoyed young or for up to 5 years or so depending on the producer.
Besides California and New Zealand, Sauvignon Blanc is also cultivated in France, Chile, Romania, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and Washington state. We love a world traveler!
This varietal can grow in many different regions varying in climate. These temperature differences influence the wine significatnly. Cooler climates produce wine with high acidity and flavors of grass, green bell peppers, passion fruit, and floral notes. Sauvignon Blanc taste and primary flavors are lime, green apple, tropical fruit and white peach. The flavor palate ranges from zippy lime to flowery peach.
The Sauvignon Blanc grape is unique due to it's aromatic organic compounds called “pyrazines” give the wine its herbaceous flavors of bell pepper, jalapeño, gooseberry, and grass. Sauvignon Blanc’s acidity level is medium to medium-high.
Similar varieties include: Verdejo, Albariño, Colombard, Grüner Veltliner, Verdicchio, Vermentino, Tocai Friulano, Savignan (rare), Traminer, and Sauvignon Vert (rare).
The Perfect Pairing
Sauvignon Blanc does not particularly benefit from aging, so there’s no need to wait to open a bottle. We'd suggest serving Sauvignon Blanc at “cellar temp” (about 50 to 60 degrees). When it comes to chilling white wine, there are two options. You can either leave it in the fridge for several hours, or you can put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. If the girls are on their way, pop that bottle in the freezer and you’re good to go.
What to pair with Sauvignon Blanc? Luckily for us, Sauvignon Blanc has a variety of foods that mutually compliment each other.
- Seafood lovers, this one’s for you! Sauvignon Blanc’s zing enhances the citrus and garlic-based sauces used for seafood, shellfish, and white fish. It is also one of the only wines that works well with sushi. One of our favorite sauvignon blanc food pairing is with fresh seafood.
- By now you know that the Sauvignon Blanc flavor profile has herbaceous notes. These pair well with similar green herbs like parsley, rosemary, basil, cilantro, mint, tarragon, thyme, fennel, dill, and chives. Other “non-green” spices include white pepper, coriander, turmeric, and saffron.
- Meat lovers, unite! Perfect white meat pairings are chicken and turkey.
- What to eat with Sauvignon Blanc? We love a delectable cheese board. Try Sauvignon Blanc with softer, briny, and sour cheeses like goat’s milk cheese.
- Don’t worry, we didn’t forget about the veggies! Pair these vegetarian dishes with Sauvignon Blanc: asparagus quiche, cucumber dill yogurt salad, white bean casserole with zucchini, and green hummus.
- Now that you’re a Sauvignon Blanc expert, put your knowledge to the test and describe sauvignon blanc to your friends at the next happy hour. Kick back with a bottle (or two) of crisp, clean Sauvignon Blanc! Visit our Wine Shop to explore our wines.
This is more than just a wine, it's an origin story. Order a bottle of the McBride Sisters Collection Sauvignon Blanc in the store here or find our wines near you on the store locator here. If you want to taste through the Collections, check out our Wine Club to recieve hand curated wines sent directly to you quarterly.