Red Wine Braised Beef Hash Skillet
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 4 lbs beef brisket, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (approx.)
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 small bunch thyme sprigs
- 2 cups McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend, Central Coast, California 2019
- 1 L beef broth
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 6 fried eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Beef: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, season beef brisket with cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika and pepper.
- In large Dutch oven or oven-safe skillet set over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp oil. In batches to avoid crowding and adding oil as needed, add brisket to hot Dutch oven and cook, turning, for 3 to 5 minutes or until deep golden brown all over. Using slotted spoon, transfer to medium plate.
- Add onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Pour in wine to deglaze Dutch oven, scraping up browned bits and stirring to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in beef broth. Return brisket and accumulated juices to Dutch oven, cover and transfer to oven.
- Cook for 1 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender. Transfer Dutch oven to medium heat. Discard rosemary and thyme.
- In small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 3 tbsp water. Add slurry to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Hash: In another large bowl, toss together potatoes, carrots, red pepper, oregano, salt, cumin, paprika and black pepper until coated.
- In large skillet set over medium heat, add oil. In batches to avoid crowding, add potato mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in scallions.
- Divide hash mixture among 6 bowls. Top each with 1/2 cup brisket and a fried egg. Garnish with parsley.
Tips: Leftover brisket can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. Gently reheat in medium saucepan over low heat before serving. Great for tacos or for using in pastas and stir-fries!
This beef hash skillet is also delicious topped with sliced avocado.
Serve with additional McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend, Central Coast, California 2019.