Tropical Chicken and Waffle Sandwich
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour (+ 15 minutes standing time)
- Serves: 4
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 egg
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and sliced into thin strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Coconut Waffles: Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture until smooth. Let batter rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron and grease well. Scoop 1/2 cup batter into waffle iron. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp and steam has dissipated. Transfer to wire rack set over a baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to make 8 waffles.
- Fried Chicken: Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, allspice, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and thyme.
- In small bowl, beat egg.
- One at a time, dip chicken into flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip into egg, then again into flour mixture until well coated.
- In high-sided skillet or saucepan set over high heat, heat vegetable oil until shimmering or until it reaches 350°F. Add chicken to oil and cook, turning once, for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crispy and an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into thickest part of chicken. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- Tropical Coleslaw: In large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, lime zest, lime juice and salt. Add coleslaw mix, mango and scallions and toss to coat.
- Arrange fried chicken over 4 waffles. Top evenly with coleslaw and cap with remaining waffles. Drizzle with maple syrup.
Tip: For added indulgence, drizzle with Caribbean hot sauce–accented pure maple syrup for a sweet heat finish.