Loaded Avocado Toast
May 5, 2022
With a soft and balanced texture and a slight hint of toasty oak, our McBride Sisters Collection Chardonnay is a perfect pairing for this unique twist on a classic breakfast. Eggs are poached in wine aromatics to build a rich and refined flavor profile.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4
Wine Poached Eggs:
- 1 1/2 cups McBride Sisters Collection Chardonnay, Central Coast, California 2019
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup McBride Sisters Collection Chardonnay, Central Coast, California 2019
- 2 tbsp heavy or whipping (35%) cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough loaf
- 3 large ripe avocados, peeled, halved and pitted
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup arugula
- Wine Poached Eggs: In medium saucepan set over medium heat, add wine and 3 cups water. Bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. One at a time, crack eggs into wine mixture and cook for 3 minutes for soft poached eggs. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate to remove excess moisture.
- Wine Sauce: In medium skillet set over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add shallot and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Pour in wine and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced slightly. Add remaining butter and cream. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until butter is melted. Season with salt. Discard thyme sprigs. Transfer sauce to medium bowl and whisk until thickened.
- Blistered Tomatoes: In another medium skillet set over medium heat, add oil. Add tomatoes, garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tomatoes are tender, blistered and lightly charred. Discard garlic and rosemary. Transfer tomatoes to small bowl; set aside (reserve skillet and flavored oil).
- Assembly: Return skillet to medium heat. Toast sourdough, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and flavored oil has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in another small bowl, using fork, mash avocado. Season with salt. Spread evenly over toasted sourdough. Top each with 2 poached eggs and roasted tomatoes. Drizzle evenly with wine reduction. Sprinkle with feta and season with pepper. Top with arugula.
Tips: Serve with additional McBride Sisters Collection Chardonnay, Central Coast, California 2019.
If poaching eggs in advance, reheat poached eggs by placing them in gently simmering water for 30 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towel–lined plate and pat dry with more paper towels before serving.