Octopus Al Pastor
Cook time: 10-15 minutes | Serves: 8
- Octopus, 1lb per person
- 1 Pineapple, cleaned and cut in 1/4 *optional
- 2 Plantain, ripe (dark yellow with black spots) *optional
- 1 bunch of Cilantro, leaves picked only
- 1/2 cup Crema
- 2 Limes
- 1/2 Red onion, julienned
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 wheel of Queso Fresco, crumbled
Al Pastor Marinade:
- 4 Chile Guajillo
- 4 Chipotle in Adobo (canned)
- 7oz Achiote
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- Salt to taste
Note: Don't worry if you don't eat octopus or if you're vegan, I've still got you! Substitute the protein for the plantain and pineapple and experience the same euphoria from your first bite.
1. Seed guajillos and grill for a few seconds to soften.
2. Dissolve achiote in vinegar.
3. Blend marinade in a blender and set aside
1. Clean pineapple and 1/4, removing the core on the bias
2. Peel and slice plantains on the bias into large 1/2in medallions. Reserve with pineapple
3. Julienne red onion, pick cilantro and cut limes in 1/4 for garnishing
4. Place octopus (sub pineapple and plantain if you wish) on grill or cast iron pan lightly oiled with neutral flavor oil and sear. Once all sides have seared brush on marinade to coat all sides. If grilling sear the marinade before removing it from heat, if searing on a pan you can sear the marinade on or bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes.
5. Assemble tacos/ cry a little because they are so tasty/smile