A Socially-Distant Labor Day While Sheltering in Place
Wow. If someone had told us how the first 8 months of 2020 would pan out we probably wouldn’t have believed them. Yet here we are, heading up to Labor Day in the midst of a pandemic and like us, we’re sure most of you are eager to find ways to let loose. Labor Day is about taking a break; it has been a wild year for all of us, and we all deserve some time off. Due to social distancing, we won’t be doing most of the typical things we’re used to doing to celebrate the long weekend, such as throwing massive cookouts with our family and friends or heading to our favorite busy hot spots, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t have fun! There are numerous ways for us to get creative, so gather up your quarantine crew and try out these exciting ideas for Labor Day.
Mix Up a Summery Cocktail
Release your inner mixologist and show off your newfound skills. You’ll be sure to impress your friends with these delicious cocktails that will officially mark the start of cocktail o’clock.
McBride Sisters Sparkling Summer Rosé Margarita
- 10 oz Mezcal
- 1 bottle of McBride Sisters New Zealand Sparkling Brut Rosé
- 5 oz fresh lime juice
- 4 oz Agave syrup
- A handful of sliced strawberries
- A bunch of basil
- Garnish: sliced strawberries, lime wheels and salt
- Combine the mezcal, lime juice and agave syrup in a punch bowl.
- Add the sliced strawberries and basil.
- Sit in the fridge for half an hour to infuse.
- Add cubed ice and stir to mix.
- Top with the sparkling rosé.
- Garnish with lime wheels, strawberries and salt and serve.
Tip: The bottle of mezcal can be infused for 3-5 days prior with the strawberries and basil for a stronger flavor.
McBride Sisters Red Wine Sangria
- 1 bottle of McBride Sisters Central Coast California Red Blend, chilled.
- ½ cup of brandy
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup of sliced mixed seasonal fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines), prepared and cut as desired
- 1 lemon sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Ice for serving
- Squeeze the juice from half of the orange into a pitcher. Thinly slice the remaining orange and add the slices to the pitcher.
- Add the prepared seasonal fruit and lemon and remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional brown sugar until the flavors have reached your preferred sweetness.
Note: this sangria can be served immediately or let sit to marinate for a few hours to enhance the flavors.
Serve in wine glasses with a few ice cubes to keep chilled. Enjoy!
Host a Wine Tasting Party with Your Squad
There’s nothing like indulging in some refreshing wines and delicious snacks to cool you off during the summer heat! Tell everyone to bring their own bottle of wine, and you can assign a theme such as favorite Californian wineries, family-run wineries and Black-owned wineries. (Hint: McBride Sisters fit into all three categories). We recommend pairing the elegant McBride Sisters Central Coast California Chardonnay with a buttery or nutty cheese such as Camembert or Tête de Moine. If you’re craving a red, pair the sultry McBride Sisters Central Coast California Red Blend with a sharp or smoked cheese such as a smoked Gouda or sharp Cheddar.
Throw a Virtual Zoom Party (BYO wine)
If a small gathering with a few of your closest friends just isn’t cutting it for a national holiday, round up your extended family, friends and entire Facebook list for a virtual Labor Day celebration. The best thing about a virtual party is that you can connect with your friends and relatives on the other side of the country (or in another continent) without having to leave your own living room. Nothing says party like a cold canned beverage, so grab your favorite She Can flavor (they’re all delicious but with tropical notes of guava, grapefruit and golden kiwi the Island Citrus Dry Rosé really says let’s party), throw on an outfit that slays and get the good times rolling.
Always wanted to check out a paint and sip wine party but never had the chance? Well, here’s your opportunity to host your own. Pick up a canvas, a set of acrylic or watercolor paints and an easel and turn your living room into the artist’s studio you’ve always dreamed of. You can invite a few of your closest friends over to join you (beware: things may get a little messy), or live stream the painting fun over Zoom. Tell your friends to pick up a bottle of their favorite McBride Sisters wine and get ready to unleash your inner Frida Kahlo. To mix things up a bit you can play with different themes or art periods, set a timer for 20-minute intervals and see what you come up with!
Have a Picnic in Your Backyard (or Rooftop, or Living Room)
One of the best things about summer is having outdoor picnics with delicious snacks, great wine and your besties. You don’t have to let the restrictions in your state hold you back from getting outdoors, with a little imagination and creativity you can turn your backyard, rooftop or living room into a magical retreat. Set up hanging fairy lights, large cushions and soft blankets and surround your space with plants for an instant, easy transformation. Our ideal way to kick off a picnic is with a can of She Can Rosé, the perfect pairing for any picnic spread. Turn up your summer playlist, like this 90s summer hip hop playlist on Spotify and slide right into picnic mode.
Get Your Game On
It’s time to dust off the box of Pictionary and gather up your crew. Or is Cards Against Humanity more your style? Whatever your game of choice is, pick it up and get ready for the best games night of your adult life. It’s not a real games night without drinks, so pick up a bottle or two of McBride Sisters Sauvignon Blanc, throw on some tunes and let the games begin.Have Fun and Stay Safe!
No matter what you decide to do for Labor Day remember to celebrate and have fun while staying safe. This isn’t only referring to COVID-19, but also keeping in mind to wear sunscreen on hot days, stay hydrated if you’re outside and keep social distancing rules in place where possible. Try out our seasonal Wine Club collections and enjoy your Labor Day weekend with your beloved families and friends.
Ok, we can all admit this spring is definitely not “business as usual.” Most of us are stuck at home S.I.P. (sheltered in place), which is especially hard during this Easter/Passover week, a time normally celebrated with our families. If you’re like us, you’re looking for all the positive energy you can find in this world of scary COVID-19 news.
For the first week or so, Robin and I read ALL the articles that popped up in our notifications and religiously watched the news for updates on the virus. We were STRESSED. However, after a FaceTime session, we realized that we’d been working so hard with events and travel, and for real––we were a little worn out. While we continue to work hard during S.I.P., now is a great time to focus a little more on taking care of ourselves and getting back in touch with the things we love, like hanging out with our families, cooking, catching up on movies and shows, and listening to music, to help us feel more calm and relaxed.
Like so many of us, Robin and I are not good at making time for ourselves––we always feel like there’s something we should be doing to stay busy––but caring for ourselves, especially during stressful times, helps clear our minds. So, we wanted to share some fun activities you can do, paired with our favorite wines for spring, to bring a little fun into a tough situation!
Rosé All Day!
Rosé is perfect for spring, and it’s even better when enjoyed with your girlfriends. Fragrant orange blossom and tart raspberries make our Black Girl Magic California Rosé an excellent wine to sip on with your girls this season.
Although you can’t see them in person right now (shoutout to #SocialDistancing), you can meet up at the club! #ClubQuarantine, that is. Our favorite DJ, D-Nice, has been live on Instagram spinning the songs that make EVERYBODY move. Grab your girls and jump in––it’s just like being at the club back in the day but you don’t even have to get dressed!
Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay
Ok, truth? We haven’t had much time to read. But, I’ve got a plan to chill with some smooth R&B and a few books that I’ve been dying to read. Robin and I like to read books written by strong women who write honestly about their lives and learnings. A lot of humor and maybe even a little spilling of tea along the way and we are IN. On our list right now? “More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)” by the fabulous Elaine Welteroth, “We’re Going to Need More Wine” by the smart and gorgeous Gabrielle Union-Wade, and “I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual” by truth-telling Luvvie Ajayi Jones. Let us know your favorite reads in the comments!
The perfect companion to great music and an excellent book is, of course, Chardonnay! Try our elegant and crisp Central Coast California Chardonnay. With notes of juicy pineapple and zesty citrus––it’s perfect with this delicious Grilled/ Smoked Salmon recipe featured in the latest blog from our good friend Mark Phillips at Southern Temptation.
Sauvignon Blanc and Downward Dog?
Yoga and wine are known to be two of the best ways to relax. If you’re craving some good yoga and maybe even a little side of meditation, check out the awesome sessions hosted by Faith Hunter or join in on the FREE classes CorePower is offering on their YouTube channel.
Red Blend and Chill
And finally, now is the perfect time to binge a TV series or watch some movies! If you haven’t seen it yet, check out Uncorked on Netflix––a fantastic family drama centered around our favorite thing: Wine!
For a relaxing movie night, all you need is a smooth red wine, some PJ’s and a cozy seat.
Hungry? Skip the popcorn and go all out with some BBQ! Treat yo’ self to one of our favorite recipes: McBride Sisters Family Chocolate & Jalapeño Short Ribs. Enjoy it with our Central Coast California Red Blend. With its leathery notes of tobacco, flavors of juicy plum, cherry, and blackberry, and a hint of peppery spice, you’ll be ready for a dope night in!
Take good care of yourself and don’t forget to celebrate tiny little happiness in your daily life. Order our wines now in our Online Wine Shop to stock up on these spring essentials! Want more? Come visit our seasonal Wine Club with your beloved families and friends.
Happy Easter and Passover to you all! Wash your hands and be well.
McBride Sisters Family Recipe: Chocolate & Jalapeño Short Ribs with McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend
Total Time: 3 hr. 30 min
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 tsp. tomato paste
- 3 tsp. ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 cup McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend
- 2 cups beef stock
- 6 dried mixed chilies (Chipotle, arbol, ancho)
- 1 disc Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat a Le Creuset Grill Pan over medium heat; brush lightly with canola oil. Pat the short ribs dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Grill short ribs in batches on all sides until grill marks appear, remove from grill and repeat with remaining short ribs.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in the Le Creuset Braiser over medium heat; add the onion, carrot, and celery to skillet. Sauté until they achieve color. Stir in garlic and jalapeño, cooking for one minute, and then add tomato paste and ketchup. Cook and stir until the paste starts to darken, scraping the bottom of the braiser to prevent burning. Stir in Paprika and Cumin, thyme, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir to toast spices. Deglaze with McBride Sisters Collection Red Blend wine and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan; allow wine to reduce by half. Add dried chilies and beef stock and heat mixture to a rolling simmer; add chocolate and stir to melt.
- Place short ribs into braiser, cover with lid, and place in oven for 30 hours. The ribs should be very tender and almost fall off the bone. Carefully remove ribs to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Remove whole Chile pieces from sauce and skim fat from the surface. Stir in 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar. If the sauce is too thin, mix 1/2 tbsp. flour 1tbsp. water together to form a slurry and whisk into sauce. Bring sauce to a boil and serve over ribs.
While enjoying our family recipe, don’t forget to share with your beloved ones. Try out our seasonal Wine Club and enjoy with your families and friends!