Winery Operations Assistant
The Winery Operations Assistant will report to and assist the Head Winemaker with all aspects of
winemaking for the Winery Operations Team, including closely monitoring wine quality and routine
daily winemaking activities. Assists in monitoring various wine programs from Harvest through
finishing, blending, and bottling while maintaining quality and style. Interacts with and provides
support to all members of the Winery Operations Team to complete a variety of remote, in-office,
and offsite tasks and projects. Completes assignments and visits facilities and vineyards on
California’s Central Coast (Paso Robles to San Luis Obispo). Ability to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic
environment is required. The role will include mentorship opportunity for the right candidate to
learn all facets of wine production for a fast-growing wine company in a “virtual” setting.
The job description reflects management's assignments of essential functions; it
does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned
Administrative and Winemaking Assistance (80%)
- Data entry: tracks wine and generates reports.
- Maintains and updates harvest-related and blending-related spreadsheets and trackers.
- Maintains packaged goods library for Winemaker Quality Control tasting and evaluation.
- Prepares tank and barrel samples for Winemaker tasting and evaluation.
- Assists with Winemaker bench trials and blending exercises.
- Handles incoming and outgoing bulk wine sample requests.
- Tracks locations, contracts, and sustainability certifications of vineyard partners.
- Vineyard maturity sampling (seasonal).
- Fermentation monitoring (seasonal).
- Keeps Winery Operations Team apprised of all timing and execution of cellar activities.
- Tracks lab analysis of finished and unfinished wines and components.
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities (20%)
- Assists with updates to Standard Operating Procedures for Winemaking Team.
- Provides administrative support for Winery Operations Team.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Exposure to or knowledge of wine and the winemaking process.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Familiarity with Winemaker’s Database, Vintrace and/or similar software preferred.
- Familiarity with wine facility protocols and best practices preferred and ability to follow hygiene practices of each facility.
- Ability to prioritize workload and handle deadlines with focused attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction and work closely with other team members.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office and G-Suite applications, as well as the ability to learn new software.
- Flexibility within the ever-changing priorities of a custom-crush atmosphere.
- Proficiency with laboratory measurement equipment preferred.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Ability to understand and adhere to safety and quality systems and standards.
- Passion for wine and willingness to learn.
Education and Experience
- Must be 21+ years of age.
- Valid Driver’s License, acceptable driving record, and proof of insurance required (up to 20% travel during harvest season). Must have reliable personal transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field preferred.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in wine industry required, hands-on winemaking, facilities, and cellar activities experience preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform outdoor work in vineyards in various weather conditions (approximately 15%).
- Ability to perform work in a wine cellar environment (noisy, wet and cold).
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time with frequent reaching, lifting, carrying, climbing, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, touching, feeling, and performing tasks requiring manual dexterity.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
McBride Sisters Collection is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin/ancestry, citizenship, physical/mental disabilities, military status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law.
If the above sounds like you, send an email to email@example.com with subject line: Winery Operations Assistant-‘your full name here’. No need for fancy cover letters. Just include your resume and why you think you’re the best fit for this role in your email. Thank you!